Saturday, April 4, 2015

A wide open door

L to R: Ashley, Anna, Michelle, and me. We are all moving to Congo this spring/summer.
Friday, 4 of us from school and a language partner of Anna and Ashley (in pic above) walked to the train station to meet Michelle, a friend (also with Samaritan’s Purse and an OB/GYN) coming from her language school in Switzerland. On the way back, because the streets are narrow, I ended up walking only with the language partner. She asked me what things are different between the US and France. Among other things, I mentioned the rather closed and guarded lives and conversations of the French vs the openness of Americans (in general). For instance, it is VERY uncommon to speak about religion or politics in France with friends or with strangers. They also would not talk about their jobs or money unless they are with very close friends. They will talk all day about food. With food as good as it is here, I can understand their obsession with food. But matters of importance, close to their hearts, they guard. Their windows are closed, their privacy fences are closed. When a person is trusted, THEN will the French invite him or her to tea and then perhaps dinner. Many Americans, on the other hand, love to debate controversial subjects, keep the windows open, discuss their jobs and money, and neither religion nor politics is off limits among friends (even if tempered). 

We continued walking, lagging further and further behind the others on the 15 minute walk from the train station. The language partner agreed with my observation and said that she was unable to discuss politics with even her brother. “One day if I talk about politics, the next day we won’t be friends anymore,” she said. Seeing a small opening in this discussion of differences, I assured her, “You can talk to most Americans about anything. So feel free to ask questions about religion or politics or anything to your American friends here. We like to share what we are passionate about.” She responded that she was glad to know that information. “And what if I say that religion is not important to me?” I assured her, “You are still my friend. It doesn't matter what you think or say or if we disagree, we can still be friends.” She seemed to be mulling it over. “Yes I like to meet many people around the city. It doesn't matter to me what they believe.” 

OK, wide open door. I took a deep breath and willed my bumbling elementary French to be able to convey the right message. “For instance,” I began, “for me, Jesus is everything. He is my friend. He died for me. He is a true friend. He was innocent, but he died. Because he was innocent, he could pay for me and what I do wrong. When God looks at me, He does not see my sin, but He sees Jesus. Jesus will say in the end, ‘I bought her. She is my friend.’ That is why Jesus is the most important in my life.“ The language partner seemed to be taking it in. She then asked, “So what are going to do for them in Africa? What is it that you hope for?” I was very glad that she was still asking questions because it showed a genuine curiosity and not distain for the subject. I spoke about the women with childbirth injuries and the sick in Africa, and I added that we want to give them hope in something bigger than their circumstances, a friendship with Jesus, the God of the world. « Jésus est amour. Le amour de Dieu est la plus importante. »  

And with that, we were standing in the driveway at the school and parted ways. It is my hope and prayer that this language partner will ask questions of Anna and Ashley (pictured above) when she meets with them and will continue this very important discussion. It was very exciting to me for this was my first time speaking with someone about Jesus in a foreign language. It was elementary, but hopefully it was a start, and I am thankful that I had the open door in this mostly closed culture in France. 

No comments:

Post a Comment