Saturday, November 15, 2014

Feeling like Home

As we drove into Albertville, as I was doing my 5th load of vacation laundry, and as I restocked my pantry with essential groceries via bike, I realized that this really feels like home. 

Ever since we turned our lives upside down when we put our house on the market in April, life has felt a bit unsettled and chaotic. Thankfully, miraculously, we only had to show the house once (with a small baby and a dog and being in residency at the time). We had tons of friends around us to help and the blessing of an entire basement to live in with a God-given friend. But it still seemed chaotic. In June, I graduated, took my written board exam. For the next two months, we didn't have a place of our own. We spent a good chunk of the summer traveling and visiting family and friends and the other chunk moving everything from our married life thus far from our sold house and into storage, a shipment container, Goodwill, or suitcases in the basement of our temporary home. Then we moved half-way around the world to a country with a strange language and small bathtubs (Tim likes to say that it is like a second toilet bowl, but I love how little water it takes to fill it up to get a good soak!). We were consumed with learning how to live in the new environment, finding what routine to use, and then we jumped into French acquisition. Each day off, on top of homework, I felt like I either needed figure out how to cook something new or meet new friends or find a new bike route, and it. just. felt. hectic. Soon it was time for a visit from my parents (woo hoo!) and Sydney's birthday and vacation. Vacation? I hadn't even had time to think about it. I'm even tired from writing this too-long, full-of-run-on-sentences paragraph.

We took time to reconnect, process, and enjoy our family on vacation. It was so needed. And now, looking back, I can feel such a difference. We got away, went to yet another country with different money and languages. Doing so, however, made me appreciate that I really am starting to understand French. I'm starting to appreciate a lot of the cultural differences. And it feels like home. At least for the next 7 months. 

No comments:

Post a Comment