Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Where is Your faithfulness?

I could see the theme. But I did not understand until later. The day after we had arrived to France, despite a long night of sleep, I still felt very foggy from jet lag. Wanting to start good habits right away, I found a spot on our couch to spend time with God, reading and praying. Great is Thy Faithfulness  was stuck in my head. I picked up one of the journals I had brought and it said, "For we walk by faith and not by sight." Then, I started reading a devotional and it was about walking by faith. From Pilgrim's Progress: "Go out into the darkness and put your hand into the hand of God, and that shall be to you better than a light and safer than a known way." Lastly, just before we left St. Louis, our dear friends gave us rocks with the words 'Remember God's Faithfulness' written on them, paralleling the times when God instructed people to set up a pile of stones to remember times of His intervention.
So where is your faithfulness God? I thought. We had prayed for wisdom in packing for months. On our arrival here, I was frustrated with some of what I had packed as it was provided (like bed sheets of which I had 2.5 sets) and frustrated that I had left towels behind because the towels provided were not good quality. We didn't have a bath mat and I had left that at home at the last minute due to weight issues. In addition, we and many many others had been praying for our travels- that we would not have any bags lost and that Sydney would sleep. In my frustration, I could not understand how 3 bags were left. Or why Sydney had not slept well on our long flight. Or why I had put our toiletries into the checked carry-on at the gate in St Louis. Where is Your faithfulness?
I wrote in my journal. "I think what I am being taught now is that perhaps I need a different perspective.It hasn't even been 24 hrs. Maybe I do need the things we brought. We have been provided so much more than we expected from the plethora of toys to linens and a more spacious apartment. We can certainly live without a bathmat. Our main bags were not lost and our bags are going to be delivered eventually- not truly lost. Sydney is napping well despite jet lag. God is not a vending machine- He will provide for us and be with us. He is faithful. Our prayers are heard."
And that afternoon, I understood.  Tim Rice came running over to our side of the family housing and said, "Guess what? Because our luggage did not arrive in 24 hours and the type of ticket we bought, we have LOST BAGGAGE insurance. We have $500 to replace our toiletries and clothing." So we got a ride to the Geant (like the Walmart of France). Because our bags were lost, I now have big bottles of body wash, shampoo and conditioner instead of travel-sized stuff. I have a few more onesies for Sydney. I have new towels instead of used. New shavers, toothbrush and toothpaste. And a new bathmat!! What a quick answer- There is Your faithfulness!
One last thought- this series of events may have taken place anyway, but because I took time to spend in prayer and devotion, I was able to see what God was up to in a much deeper way. And now I can give Him glory for such a cool answer to all of the prayers being lifted up for us. We should truly be praying for His Will to be done because it was certainly better than my Will. Great is Thy Faithfulness!!

2 comments:

  1. You encouraged me about God's faithfulness! Thanks, we'll keep praying!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So great to hear your perspective and encouragement about God's faithfulness. I'm glad you did the first thing first!

    ReplyDelete