Wednesday, July 2, 2014

End of an Era... almost

It has been 25 years since I started school in Kindergarten, and now I'm finally done. I graduated on June 21st after 4 years of college, 4 years of medical school, and 4 years of OB/GYN residency. I took my written board exam on June 30th. So I'm done! Except I'm going to start French school in September. And I still have oral board exams in 3 years when I return to the US. And there is always continuing medical education. And re-accreditation exams. So I guess when they told us at our entry into medical school that we should be life-long learners, that was very true. However, the formal, consuming, intense training is over and for that, Ryan is very grateful.

Ha! I'm very grateful too. I just realize how much he has had to put up with, especially after having a baby. And as I enter into a season of life where I have some time to reflect, I am sure I will have a lot more to say about residency. It was so rich, but so intense. I thought I might be utterly relieved when the pressure was off, but to be honest, I feel like I'm floundering a bit. It's like I was a goldfish in a bowl with piranhas nipping at my tail, but now I'm released into an ocean and there are still dangers out there, but it is hard to know where to start. I started out getting sick and sleeping the whole first day. Today I read emails- still had some unread from February! I updated Facebook. I'm updating the blog. Zoe will get updated on her overdue vaccinations before we give her to her new family. And hopefully, I can start packing for our move and our long roadtrips to see family. The end of an era is simply marking the beginning of a new one.

No comments:

Post a Comment